Home Electrical Problems That Can Cause Fire Hazards
One of the more common causes of a home fire is your electrical wires. Wires can sometimes become very hot, and sparks can also fly and ignite. The best way to avoid an electrical fire is to have your home inspected by a residential electrical repair technician if you notice any of these problems.
If you have a home appliance that has been recalled, you'll want to not ignore the recall because some recalls cover appliances that are potential fire risks.
Hire an exterminator and an electrician if you have rodents. These pests can chew on wires and cause a fire.
Too Many Extension Cords
An extension cord is only meant to be a temporary solution until you can have another outlet installed. When you have too many electric outlets, this can lead to a short-circuit that can spark a fire. Instead, hire an experienced electrician to install more outlets for you.
Warm Outlets and Switches
Your outlets and switches shouldn't feel warm when you touch them. This is usually a sign of an electrical problem that could easily lead to a fire. You should have a warm outlet or switch inspected by a residential electrical repair technician.
Flickering and Dimming Lights
This problem is often ignored by homeowners, which is a terrible idea. A flickering light can be a sign of a poor connection, and this can lead to a fire due to overheating and sparking.
Pay attention to how often your lights burn out as well. If your lightbulbs don't seem to last very long, this can be the result of a loose connection in a socket or circuit. Insulation might also be causing the lightbulbs to overheat, and this could eventually lead to a fire.
The Overhead Lights Are Overheating
Check the overhead lights in your home every once in a while. If they are overheating, they can become a fire risk. You want to make sure that there isn't too much wattage on the circuit, and you also want to make sure that your lights have enough insulation. If your bulb uses 60 watts and the outlet is designed for 40-watt bulbs, you could potentially cause a fire.
If you continue to have a problem with overhead lights that keep overheating, make sure to contact a residential electrician. While you may wish to save money by trying to solve the problem yourself, you do not want to risk a potential fire.
To learn more, contact a resource that does residential electrical repairs.